So yesterday I realized how much dust there was on my overhead fan. Gross! Literally the was so much dust on my fan I thought if I turned it on I would of definitely gotten some in my lungs. I think to my self, “This HAS to get done, how do I go about cleaning this with out dying. So I decided to make a face mask. In Japan, wearing a face mask is a very popular thing. The people of Japan wear face masks to: make sure they don’t spread their sickness to others and to not GET sick from other people. I am not sick but I thought this would be a great way to NOT get sick from the dust.
Here is what you need to make this fun face mask:
- (2)5.5×4.5 inches rectangles
- (2)rectangles x+2=width (I will further explain)*
- (2) 5×2 inches *
- Fun decor, lace, ruffles, beads, etc
* For these two you can actually use binding tape (I decided to use the same fabric from the mouth piece)
I started out by cutting out my pieces. Six in total
I then took the mouth pieces and added slight curves to each corner (I used my handy dandy wax chalk)
TIP: Grab your two longest pieces and lets talk about the * from the intro. In order to find what the length is of the top and bottom binding, you have to measure from ear-ear or tragus to tragus. My number was 11 inches and I add 2 inches. So 13 inches by 2 inches
I then added my home made binding to the sides first. Top Stitch towards the open side. If you need help with binding I will be more than happy to make a quick tut. After that is sewn into place, I added the top and bottom binding and pinned that into place. This is where you add your fun, pretty, additions. I decided to add some lace to sides and the a layer of them in the middle.
I cut and trimmed some lace and I did a blind hem stitch. I did this because it is a strong stitch and it is a less noticeable one. Remember to always pin. Pinning is your best friend when sewing.
Next connect the bottom and top bindings together to fully construct the ear pieces. I added some lace to my sides to make them look prettier. Connect and WaLa!
The past few days have been very lazy. I have been cleaning the house to prepare for my boyfriends mother to come into town. I did have a haul at Hobby Lobby. Oh god, Hobby Lobby will bring the death to me and my wallet. I got a lot of fun stuff:
And I am currently working on the doll and another dress for Piper. I did not use a pattern, but I used a 4t shirt from the store, cut it and added the skirt area. Of course, I highly suggest that you use patterns. If you follow a pattern properly you CANT mess up. If you are doing like me, you might mess up. It is almost inevitable. So here is the dress and doll that I am working on:
I would love to hear some feedback on this dress. I made little jelly fish tentacles so when she spins around it gives more body. I have not finished the hem yet and I may consider making it a bubble skirt
This shelf is so simple and easy. Grab a nice handful of cinder blocks and 3 or 4 2×4’s, stain the wood and Boom! I am constantly starting new projects. Even if I dont finish one I start on a new one and I go back and fourth, sometimes with 4 projects running. You can see how that can be hard on my wallet. I have had this in mind for a long time, once my pallet furniture comes through this will be the project to come directly after the furniture is done.
This picture is not mine. I will post a picture of mine when it is done!